grilled sausage and veggie tacos
Don’t you love it when things come together? People, food, friends, sausages, inspiration, dinner. I know I do. Let me cut to the chase.
I found a sausage I LOVE this summer. The Original Brat Hans Sausages* have no antibiotics, no hormones, no nitrates, and no preservatives. The sodium content comes from actual sea salt (and is less than comparable brands by a couple hundred mgs), I can pronounce every ingredient, and they taste better than any sausage I’ve had. (And no this is not a sponsored post.)
Believe me when I say I’ve tried all sausages, or at least read every package available in Minneapolis, hoping there would be a worthy meat product to change up the normal protein routine or meat rut that happens around here. Sometimes you just want/need a quicker protein option.
Like when you make Jen Patnode’s Family Breakfast:
Or a bowl full of Jen Eck's Grilled Veggie Slaw:
While I was perfectly happy eating these two bowls of colorful food on a daily basis until fall, thanks to the Jens, along came this spread in Bon Appétit last month.
Come on, sausages cut lengthwise? Why yes, that would grill better and bite better in a lettuce wrap or tortilla than a sausage left whole.
One picture to rethink dinner + one sausage I already love + one Bodies by Burgoon recipe for grilled veggies = dinner or meal prep options right in front of me/you.
Before I give you the details, let's talk about meal prepping for a split second. Maybe you don’t want to meal prep and spend hours in the kitchen on a Sunday, Monday, or whatever day you think sounds impossible. I hear you and I’m telling you that even prepping one recipe ahead for yourself could save you at least 4 grab and go meal mistakes and/or possibly prevent the nightly take-out from happening on your way home from work, if that's something you are trying to avoid. Easiest start could be doubling this recipe for dinner and loving your lunch (and yourself!) for the following 2 days. 😘
Whether you meal prep or not, or need some delicious dinner by tonight, here's what you will need:
- 1 package of your favorite sausage
- 1 recipe of [url href="http://bodiesbyburgoon.com/sundaysetup-grilled-veggie-slaw/"]Grilled Veggie Slaw[/url]
- 8 corn tortillas or lettuce wraps
- Optional toppings: limes, avocado slices, jalapeños, and/or hot sauce
- Prepare 1 recipe of [url href="http://bodiesbyburgoon.com/sundaysetup-grilled-veggie-slaw/"]Grilled veggie slaw[/url].
- Cut sausages in half lengthwise, grill on both sides until heated through and blistering.
- Heat corn tortillas on grill or in a pan, heating them slightly on both sides helps the corn bind together and stay together as you eat.
- For meals prepped, divide veggies and meat into 4 containers.
- For dinner, place everything in the middle of the table and eat up!
This weekend I'm prepping for a short pre-vacation week. I'll be grilling up 2 packages of my Brat Hans Sausages, 1 lb of chicken, 2 batches of veggie slaw, and 2 additional bundles of asparagus. I'm going to divide this up into 8-10 breakfast, lunch, or dinner portions with lettuce wraps, corn tortillas, eggs, and avocados available as needed.
What are you cooking this weekend? I'd love to hear. Post your pictures on our Team Burgoon Eats Facebook page or your own pages anywhere hashtagging your pics with #teamburgooneats or #sundaysetup so we can see your work and be inspired.
*I believe Brat Hans Sausages are only sold at Whole Foods, and almost every time I've purchased them they've been on sale. Stock up!