Prep it like Tiffany
As promised, we are going to talk about meal prepping, #sundaysetup, and all the ways Team Burgoon gets it done! Whatever your style becomes, grab the recipes, links, and whatever fits for you to try and make your own.
For volume 1 of our 2017 Meal Prepping Tour, I popped in on Tiffany’s latest #sundaysetup session!
Tiffany nonchalantly mentioned she was hosting a party 2 hours from the time I showed up and her kitchen was buzzing with her meal prepping! This tells you a) that meal prepping can fit into daily life and doesn't need a WHOLE day to crank out, b) efficiency is key, c) meal prepping must be worth it, and d) Tiffany is a rock star! (You too, Bob, as I hear you often are cleaning it up as she goes!)
When asked to describe her style of prep, Tiffany calls it: Semi-Homemade - both influenced by her family's delicious homemade recipes and new ones she both finds online and creates on her own!
Tiffany does not want to spend over 4 hours in the kitchen total, usually limits herself to 4 recipes, she incorporates multiple cooking styles (oven, stovetop, crockpot), and tries to use the same dishes and prepping utensils for multiple items as she goes. (um, good point!)
Tiffany’s Meal Prepping List for the day (Serves 2 and lasts for about 4 days):
1. Turkey Enchilada Quinoa by Bobby’s Kozy Kitchen (pictured above!)
2. Roasted or grilled veggies and roasted sweet potatoes - adds to meats and main dishes during the week.
3. Easy Paleo Egg Bake - recipe below!
In addition to these links and sites, Tiffany utilizes lists like this one from Costco, recipes from her family collection, and short-cuts she’s come up with by trying all the above.
Tiffany’s meal prepping tips, tricks, and timesavers:
- Keeps recipes in large batches - not a container person!
- Uses crock-pot for 1-2 recipes every meal prep.
- Preps sides to add to grilled meat the day of or preps main dish and will add sides the day of.
- Shops Hy-Vee - stuffed chicken in the meat case and peppered turkey from the deli to eat with hummus and rice crackers as short-cuts.
- Shops Costco - quinoa/kale frozen packets are delicious!
- Stores frozen veggies in freezer for back-up and ability to add to a prepped main dish
- Orders groceries to be delivered from Hy-Vee (free over $100) and uses saved list online.
For more on Tiffany's story and how meal prepping has worked for her and how it supports her training and goals, read about what she said last summer!
Here's a recipe for her Paleo Egg Bake!
- 2 tablespoons fat of choice melted (coconut oil or butter or ghee, etc.)
- 1 large sweet potato or yam, diced
- ½ salt
- 1 to 1-½ pound breakfast sausage
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 12-14 <g class="gr_ gr_105 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="105" data-gr-id="105">eggs,</g> whisked
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Toss diced sweet potatoes in fat and sprinkle with salt.
- Place sweet potatoes on baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until soft.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, place a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add breakfast sausage and yellow onion. Cook until no pink remains in the meat.
- Place meat mixture in baking dish, add sweet potatoes and spinach, then add eggs along with salt and garlic powder, mix until well combine.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until eggs are set in the middle.
And for the newbie to meal prepping, Tiffany, why do you bother?
"I meal prep so that I can be prepared for the week ahead and save on time! With our upcoming wedding in September, we are striving to eat better! Plus, knowing what we have lunches and dinners already ready allows us to work on wedding plans."
Thanks, Tiffany, for letting us invade your prepping session! This face below says if she can do it, so can you! 🙌
And as always, we'd love to hear what you are making, eating, and learning about food. If you post your pictures on social, hashtag #teamburgooneats and/or #sundaysetup and we'll find you! Follow us here to see what we are making!