#sundaysetup: Asian chicken quinoa salad
Today’s inspiration for Sunday Set-Up is from our BBB team member, Christine!
Christine not only lifts and cycles (known for crossing off both in one day btw), but she’s been working it out in the kitchen with us, testing recipes and posting for #sundaysetup.
Last week Christine shared this salad with me, and it's on our list for tomorrow’s prepping party. Since the fridge is always empty the day before Sunday Set-Up, I made this lovely dish today in order to survive. Ha.
I did more than survive, this salad is awesome! Look at these colors. It’s the kind of food that reminds you that eating healthy can actually be enjoyable. Sometimes it feels like you have to leave your fun at the door with the right kinds of food. Not with this recipe. It’s fresh, colorful, and satisfying.
Here’s the recipe:
- For Salad:
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup pea pods (trimmed and cut in half)
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 4 sliced green onions
- 2 cups shredded or cubed chicken
- For Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon orange zest (about 1 orange)
- 4 tablespoon orange Juice (about 1 orange)
- Place quinoa and broth in a small sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for approximately 15 minutes until the quinoa has plumped and absorbed the majority of the broth.
- Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl combine cooked and cooled quinoa, carrots, pea pods, cabbage, green onions, and chicken.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and add to salad or save and add right before eating.
This is one of those recipes you could get stuck on eating again and again because it makes you feel good and it's delicious. Pluuusss, there are options for those of you (ok me) that love a variety. Christine noted, and I totally agree, that this recipe is so easy to add to and subtract from. Take out the onions (you know who) or add red peppers or even some beloved broccoli. If you are staying away from grains altogether, just pile the veggies and chicken on some greens with this lovely dressing and you have a grain-free salad.
A few of us are getting together tomorrow to prep, chop, and cook some food for next week. Here’s what’s on our relatively short list.
Asian Chicken Quinoa Salad - recipe above!
If you made just 1 recipe of each of the above, you would have between 15-20 individual meals for your week plus snacks. Add to that anything else you need and you will be way ahead of yourself come Monday! If you'd like more ideas on how-to #sundaysetup, check here and here.