#sundaysetup: stuffed bell peppers
Meal preppers, summer lovers, weeknight dinner makers, cyclers, weight lifters, stair climbers (been seeing a lot of you lately), giveaway die hards (hint: giveaway coming), or anybody who eats shall unite over this recipe. Yes, that’s all of you!
Tiffany sent me this recipe a couple of weeks ago, and it lead me to a) fill and bake a bell pepper which I’ve never done but seems to be a theme lately and b) to track down this salsa from Double Take Salsa, a local company here in Minneapolis. Tiffany told me this salsa tips this recipe over the delicious scale (and when the girl recommends, I listen.)
Coincidentally, I was recently standing in the grocery store with my husband saying how I don’t really like any of these salsas. I either want less salt, less spice, more spice, less sweet, or more/less of something I can't put my finger on. I now have an assembly of salsas I don’t like rather than a variety of ones I do.
So this week I stopped in at The Herbivorous Butcher just down the road from our gym to grab my Aces & Eights. I could have eaten it with a spoon, except for the fact that I only bought 1 jar for my recipe test, (and it does have a kick to clear the sinuses.) It's like the perfect sweet and spicy salsa you all have been looking for. I KNOW I'm not alone. Check here for a list to all the stores and Farmer's Markets that sell Double Take Salsa and see for yourself what Tiffany is talking about. (Psst: Or keep reading for a chance to win!)
This recipe could easily be one of those meals you partially prep and wait to fill and bake the peppers for dinner, or prep it all the way and reheat. You decide.
Here's your #sundaysetup inspiration for the weekend!
- 6 bell peppers cored, seeded, and rinsed
- Olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced or about 1/2 cup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup canned black beans rinsed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1-2 tablespoons of fajita seasoning (Tiffany's reccomendation: [url href="http://wellnessmama.com/2748/fajita-seasoning-recipe/"]Wellness Mama's Fajita Seasoning[/url])
- 1 jar of salsa (Tiffany's reccomendation: [url href="http://www.doubletakesalsa.com/shop/"]Aces & Eights[/url])
- Optional: avocados, cheese, extra salsa, or taco toppings of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Slice off tops of peppers. Seed, core, and rinse empty peppers, laying them upside down on a towel to dry.
- Heat a bit of olive oil in a large pan on medium/high heat and add onion. Sauté 3-5 minutes until soft and starting to brown. Add ground beef and brown meat until cooked through with onion.
- Add spices and cook for about 1 minute.
- All at once add beans, rice, and salsa. Stir to mix and heat for about 2-3 minutes more. Set filling aside.
- In preheated oven, place empty dry peppers for 20 minutes to partially cook.
- After 20 minutes remove peppers, and evenly spoon filling into each pepper.
- Return filled peppers to oven for 20 minutes more.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, top with desired toppings and serve!
I didn't have Tiffany's recommended fajita seasoning on hand but opted for spices I use in homemade tacos. I added 1 crushed garlic clove, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Last but not least, it’s a GIVEAWAY! If you take any kind of action to get yourself set-up for the week, be it any day of the week until Tuesday or any amount of meals, take a picture and post it somewhere on social media for a chance to win a bottle of Aces & Eights! Here are your options to enter so we can find you:
- Post your food prep picture on your Instagram feed with the hashtags #sundaysetup and #bodiesbyburgoongiveaway.
- Post your food prep picture on our Facebook Sunday Set-Up page in the comment section to this weekend's post called #sundaysetup: stuffed bell peppers.
- Post a food prep picture on your own Facebook page tagging @Sunday Set-Up and @Bodies by Burgoon and hashtag with #bodiesbyburgoongiveaway.
- Post a food prep picture on Twitter using the hashtags #sundaysetup and #bodiesbyburgoongiveaway.
Each place you post gives you 1 additional entry, no limit! You have from now until Tuesday, May 24th, to make something for your week. We'll announce the winner next Wednesday the 25th.
Thank you, Double Take, for sponsoring this giveaway for us! I grabbed this bottle of Ghost Pepper Pineapple Hot Sauce while shopping and cannot wait to try more, it's so good!
Enjoy your weekend!